London Fire Department: Avoid using water to put out grease fires

London, ON, Canada / 106.9 The X
London Fire Department: Avoid using water to put out grease fires

Kyle Kieraszewicz, a fire prevention inspector, said calls about grease fires are common in London, Ontario. “Generally, they’re a pot left on the stove that causes a lot of smoke when cooking with oil, and that it’s left unattended.”

He added these types of fires are the most common in Ontario. The inspector was one of the representatives of the London Fire Department at Western University, as part of the Tenant Rights Awareness Campaign. They provided information on fire safety to students.

Kieraszewicz said staying in the room while cooking prevents grease fires from happening. “If they have a grease fire, the best way to extinguish it is by putting a lid on top of the pot or pan.”

He also said to never try to put out the fire with water. “It will cause the grease to splash, ignite and essentially explode right in their face.”

Kieraszewicz said it’s important to raise awareness on fire safety, because “anyone only has seconds to escape a burning home.”

Comments are closed.

Latest

More