It’s not just prime time for the flu, it’s also prime time for carbon monoxide. it is required by law that every household, business, apartment, or residence have a carbon monoxide detector.
“Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer, you can’t see it, smell it, taste it, or hear it.”
Is what acting Deputy Chief of London Fire Department Jack Burt said. He later went on to add that the reason why it’s so important to have a detector that works is because carbon monoxide can kill you.
“One minute you can be inside thinking you have the flu since you are throwing up, and the next second you are going outside for fresh air, you feel better. Then, you head back inside and you feel sick again. That’s not the flu that could be carbon monoxide poisoning in progress.”
There are ways to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning and, the first step to that would be to make sure you have a detector that works and if it doesn’t work it might be because the batteries are dead or it may be that you need a new one. Make sure anything that runs on gas like a fireplace, furnace, or if you have a wood stove that it is properly set up and cleaned to reduce the chances of carbon monoxide making an appearance. The flu is one thing and carbon monoxide is at different level compared to the flu. You can die from the flu although, now days it is very rare but, so is death from carbon monoxide since most people have working detectors.
“We highly recommend Londoners to check their detectors to see if they work and, if they aren’t working to go buy a new one. It’s affordable and, at the end of the day it can save a life.”
-Jack Burt Acting Deputy Chief of the London Fire Department.