A family of four in Vancouver, British-Columbia was found dead a few days ago. After a Coroners examination and a toxilogical scan of the four bodies it was determined that the cause of death was carbon monoxide.
Acting Deputy Fire Chief of the London Fire Department Jack Burt, discussed the importance of CO detectors in homes about a month ago.
“It’s important to make sure you have a detector in your home, and it’s important to make sure that it works because carbon monoxide can kill you.”
Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, smell it, taste it, or hear it. There is a way to figure out whether or not you are in the process of being poisoned due to carbon monoxide in your home.
“A very common symptom to look out for is if you feel like you have the flu. You feel sick like, you might throw up, you go outside take some fresh air, you feel better, you go back inside then you feel sick again. That could very well be carbon monoxide”, said Burt.
The Fire Department would like to remind everyone to make sure they have a detector and that it works. If you don’t have a detector it could result in a fine, or you could even lose your life.
Carbon monoxide can be a serious threat to your life so, to have a safe and happy holiday season, have a working detector.